I thought it might be helpful to point out some of the things that tripped me up in hopes that it could save you some time, trouble and possibly some money.
1) There is a difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
When I set up my first blog several years ago nobody mentioned there were two wordpress types. I ended up wasting
a lot of time before I finally figured this out. I even hired a “web guy” to customize my blog and he couldn’t do it and didn’t know that it was because it was built with wordpress.com. I’m not saying that it is a bad thing to have a blog on that site but you also need one on your own hosting with your own wordpress.org installation which comes free with almost all hosting now.
2) Check everything often!! I can’t stress this one enough. Even if you have checked all of your technical stuff, i.e. autoresponder, squeeze pages, landing pages, sales pages, downloads and download pages, thank-you pages, OTO’s and buy buttons.
You MUST check these systems regularly to make sure they are all working. If something, and I mean ANYTHING, even the littlest thing, is NOT working and you spend time, effort and maybe money getting traffic to it, you have wasted it if your systems aren’t working!!
3) Build your OWN list, not someone else’s. What do I mean by this?
You need to have control over the hosting of your offers. You can promote as an affiliate but be sure to build your list first by building your own squeeze pages in between you and the offer. You can spend a lot of time and money driving traffic to someone else’s offer/system/funnel only to find out that THEIR system has a technical glitch and YOU are unable to fix it!! Stops you dead in your tracks! Ask me how I found this one out!
4) I never join “programs” anymore. Not to say some folks aren’t doing well with some of these one ups or network marketing or MLM programs because some are but personally I find them much harder to convert and they are just not a fit for me. It may seem attractive because the system/funnel is already set up but in the long run you have much less control over it and will get better results with your own or even another marketers great products/software, etc. than pushing canned programs. IMHO
5) All the shiny objects in the world will not get you to your goals! Only YOU can do that! Nothing works unless YOU DO!
Taking consistent action every day will bring in consistent results no matter how much or how little time you have to spend on your IM biz. as long as you move in the right direction EVERY day even if it is 1% progress by the end of the month you have moved forward 30%!!
6) Once you start to see progress toward your goals, NEVER, I mean NEVER give up! Throw out what doesn’t work and charge ahead full steam with what is working best!